Skip to main content

Let's talk about habits (pt 2)



Hello

Yesterday I hinted that I've experienced some struggles in setting and maintaining habits. This really baffles me because I know I'm a great starter, but for whatever reason, until now, I've found it hard to follow through to the complete end. 

I've been listening to a brilliant series on the habits by Pastor Chris Groeschel, Life.Church. You can listen here - Habits. He explains that successful people do consistently what other people do occasionally.

Hearing it put that way was a light bulb moment for me. While I'm good at starting things, I often get to that point I'm sure many do, where I've felt like, hey I've got it together, take a break, only to realise 1, 2, or even months or with this blog, a year down the line that I've lost my focus or worst still gone completely off track.

I realise that I was mistaking my early success for an established habit. Success in this context of habits isn't just about the attainment of a desired outcome. Success here is the ability to keep doing a series of steps / activities / tasks consistently, resulting in a lasting outcome. 

For me, this means making lifelong daily commitments in key areas of my life. This is the only way I will succeed. This may look like:
  • Spiritual life - I draw closer to God and develop an intimate relationship with Him by I give the best part of my day, spending time in prayer and bible study.
  • Health - as an excellent steward of the body God has given me, I exercise daily to ensure I am physically fit and energised to carry out the assignment God has given me.
  • Work - I honor God by bringing my best self to work and being diligent and honest in what my employers commit to me.
These are just some examples, for you it may look different. I encourage you to check out the teaching I mentioned above.

Tomorrow we will continue this thought.

BelovedEsther

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from "As a man thinketh" by James Allen

"As a being of intelligence, power and love, and the lord of his own thoughts, man holds the key to every situation, and contains within himself that transforming and regenerative agency by which he may make himself what he wills." Awareness: I hold the key to the change I desire, I must learn to look inwards and begin to work this principle in my life.

Day 6 - 30 Day Minimalist Challenge

Day 6 - 6 canvas bags for life

Reflections from "As a man thinketh" by James Allen

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash "The outer condition of your life is always a reflection of your inner state. We are victims of circumstances only so long as we consider ourselves pawns of fate, tossed here and there by outside forces. But if you realise your creative power - if you assume responsibility for the seeds and soil of your inner garden - then you become the master of your fate' James Allen Awareness - As long as I continue to think of myself as the victim of circumstance, nothing will change. Take Action/Change - As master of my fate, I will no longer have a victim mentality but turn it around by working on the inner garden of my mind/thoughts