Skip to main content

Slay Doubt Challenge - Chapter 12 Reflections


Slay Doubt by Detola Amure


Intimacy with God

"It is important that we separate our own personal devotional time with God from our calling. We need a solid relationship with God to effectively carry out our responsibility on earth. We don't just want to be signposts for others or be disqualified after preaching to others as Paul mentioned in 1 Corinthians 9:27 (NKJV): “But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”

Abba reveals more about our calling when we seek His face. He reveals His heart to us in the place of intimacy."

Detola introduced the concept of intentionally planning times of intimacy with God, almost like you would a date.

As a woman, I know how much effort I put into preparing for and looking my very best for a date, be it with friends, a romantic date; and Detola encourages in this chapter taking the same approach with God. No one relishes spending time with someone they feel has no interest in them; it is the same with God. He truly wants us to spend time with Him because He loves us.

I've sometimes let this slip when I think I've got it all together, but putting on the mindset above ensures I'm not meeting with God out of a sense of duty but because I want to spend quality time with him.

She encouraged that if this is an area of struggle, to rely on the Holy Spirit for His wisdom and help in committing to this.

I commit to giving the best part of my day, the early hours of the morning, to God.
My personal times with the Lord to be very vibrant, fluid and filled with love
I will rely on and follow the flow of the Holy Spirit consistently and hear what God has for me daily. 

Detola shares a sample morning devotion/meditation time routine in the book. I also took some time to write out what I'd like my intimacy time with God to look like. Here it is.
  • Play Christian instrumental music (soaking music) in the background. Here's my Spotify Christian soaking instrumentals playlist
  • Spend time in personal worship - you can also use your preferred Christian worship music playlist, or find something you like on Spotify or YouTube. Here's my Spotify morning devotion playlist.
  • Spend time in prayer - pray in the spirit, communion with God, for the day, for myself, for others and specific points on my heart. You can also pray about whatever is on your heart.
  • Read my daily bible reading for the day. If you have nothing specific, you can find free plans here on Bible.com.
  • Journal what I hear God tell me and note down a few things I'm grateful for.
Disclaimer - The above outline is not prescriptive, just a sample of what I like to do. Sometime I may even switch it up.

I encourage you to find a routine that works for you and your unique schedule.

Till tomorrow

BelovedEsther  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections from "As a man thinketh" by James Allen

"As a being of intelligence, power and love, and the lord of his own thoughts, man holds the key to every situation, and contains within himself that transforming and regenerative agency by which he may make himself what he wills." Awareness: I hold the key to the change I desire, I must learn to look inwards and begin to work this principle in my life.

Day 6 - 30 Day Minimalist Challenge

Day 6 - 6 canvas bags for life

Reflections from "As a man thinketh" by James Allen

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash "The outer condition of your life is always a reflection of your inner state. We are victims of circumstances only so long as we consider ourselves pawns of fate, tossed here and there by outside forces. But if you realise your creative power - if you assume responsibility for the seeds and soil of your inner garden - then you become the master of your fate' James Allen Awareness - As long as I continue to think of myself as the victim of circumstance, nothing will change. Take Action/Change - As master of my fate, I will no longer have a victim mentality but turn it around by working on the inner garden of my mind/thoughts